[ RadSafe ] The Role of Low-Dose Radiation in the Maintenance ofLife

Muckerheide, Jim (CDA) Jim.Muckerheide at state.ma.us
Fri Oct 27 12:57:28 CDT 2006

> -----Original Message-----
> From: John Jacobus [mailto:crispy_bird at yahoo.com]
> Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 1:17 PM
>
> Jim,
> I am not sure what we all know.

Right.  My point exactly.  You really should read the literature more.

>My point is that the
> mechanisms for cell, and particularly cancer cell
> repair is not clear.  You say the low doses of
> ionizing radiation "stimulate" repair enzymes.  What
> if the same radiation stimulates cancer stem cells?
> Are you saying that could not happen? Cells and their
> interactions are complex, and I doubt all repairs
> actions are beneficial.  Do you?

Sure; it happens.  But other mechanisms destroy cancer cells.  We know
that, before angiogenesis in solid tumors, low-dose radiation protects
against (suppresses, kills) pre-cancerous cells and early cancer cells
and metastatic cells through specific stimulation/suppression
mechanisms.  Note that these functions are primarily mediated through
tissue responses, not just the cell/DNA responses that are used/abused
by LNT apologists to claim a biological basis for "any radiation is
damaging" (especially when we know that, without low-dose radiation,
organisms are debilitated, and even die.

> By the way, you really do not have to defend Dr.
> Scott.  I am sure that if he wants to respond to me,
> he will do so.

I certainly don't HAVE to; but I would think that I can if I want to!
:-) (At least as much as you can take cheap shots; especially since,
like many serious research scientists, he might not deign to respond to
such disingenuous commentary.)

Regards, Jim