[ RadSafe ] dose RATE is the decisive variable

Otto Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Fri Sep 1 16:58:35 CDT 2006

At 02:54 AM 9/1/2006, Rainer.Facius at dlr.de wrote:
>The recent paper elaborates a seemingly trivial principle, i.e., the
>response of (not only nonlinear) systems capable of intrinsic
>counteractive measures to compensate external stimuli is not primarily
>determined by the stimulus' amplitude but rather by the ratio between the
>stimulus' temporal gradient and the characteristic 'response' time of the
>system's feed-back control systems - as long as its capacities are not
>overstrained. Thus the rate is not a parameter - as conventionally it is
>conceived of - but a primary independent variable.
September 1, 2006

I have shown in several studies and reported in several publications that
dose rate and time were the primary variables affecting cancer induction,
and that cumulative dose is an unreliable indicator of cancer risk.

DOSE RATE EFFECTS FOR INTERNAL EMITTERS
Otto G. Raabe
Center for Health and the Environment
University of California, Davis

Raabe, O.G., S.A. Book and N.J. Parks (1980) Bone cancer from radium:
Canine dose response explains data for mice and humans. Science 208: 61 64.

Raabe, O.G., N.J. Parks and S.A. Book. (1981) Dose-response relationships
for bone tumors in beagles exposed to 226Ra and 90Sr. Health Physics 40:
863 880.

Raabe, O.G., S.A. Book and N.J. Parks. (1983) Lifetime bone cancer
dose-response relationships in beagles and people from skeletal burdens of
226Ra and 90Sr. Health Physics 44: 33 48.

Raabe, O.G. (1984) Comparison of the carcinogenicity of radium and
bone-seeking actinides. Health Physics 46: 1241 1258.

Raabe, O.G. (1986) Use of three-dimensional lognormal dose-response
surfaces in lifetime studies of radiation-induced cancer. In Proceedings of
the 22nd Hanford Life Sciences Symposium (Ed. R.C. Thompson and J.A.
Mahaffey), Life-span Radiation Effects Studies in Animals: What Can They
Tell Us? CONF 830951, pp. 320 342, National Technical Information Service,
Springfield, VA.

Raabe, O.G. (1987) Three-dimensional dose-response models of competing
risks and natural life span. Fundamental and Applied Toxicology 8: 465 473.

Raabe, O.G. (1988) Three-dimensional dose-response models of risk for
radiation injury and carcinogenesis. In Proceedings of the Seventh
International Congress of the International Radiation Protection
Association, Radiation Protection Practice, Volume 1, pp. 6 9.

Raabe, O.G. (1989) Scaling of fatal cancer risks from laboratory animals to
man. Health Physics 57 (suppl.1): 419-432.

Raabe, O.G., L.S. Rosenblatt and R.A Schlenker. (1990) Interspecies scaling
of risk for radiation-induced bone cancer. International Journal of
Radiation Biology 57: 1047-1061.

Raabe, O.G. (1992) Influence of time and dose rate on cancer risk from
internally deposited radionuclides, In Proceedings of the Eight
International Congress of the International Radiation Protection
Association, Worldwide Achievement in Public and Occupational Health
Protection Against Radiation, Volume 1, pp. 718-721.

Raabe, O.G. (1994) Three-Dimensional Models of Risk from Internally
Deposited Radionuclides, Chapter 30, pp. 663-656 in Internal Radiation
Dosimetry (O.G. Raabe, Ed.), Medical Physics Publishing, Madison, WI.

Raabe, O.G., M.R. Culbertson, R.G. White, N.J. Parks, W.S. Spangler, and
S.J. Samuels (1995) Lifetime Radiation Effects in Beagles Injected With
226Ra As Young Adults, pp. 313 -318 in Health Effects of Internally
Deposited Radionuclides: Emphasis on Radium and Thorium (G. van Kaick, A.
Karaogou, and A.M. Kellerer, Eds.), World Scientific, Singapore.

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140