[ RadSafe ] dose RATE is the decisive variable - the wheel ofreincarnation of ideas

Muckerheide, Jim (CDA) Jim.Muckerheide at state.ma.us
Tue Sep 5 11:53:57 CDT 2006

Rainer, All,

Note that the link to the 1993 review of Delattre's theory is at:
BRUTER C.P. (Ed)

It seems to me that the issue of the primacy of dose rate is 70 or 80 years old.  But ICRP et al. could not be applied to overturn the LNT premise as used against medical therapies.  However, note that dose rate can be reported as just rate.  In Jake Spalding's experiments, roughly 4000 mice (in each of replicated experiments) were exposed to 5 total external (Co-60) doses, at 6 dose rates, starting at 4 ages, with about 25 mice in each group.  The high dose rate of 36000 R/day reflects an actual exposure of 25 R in one minute. Doses were 20 to 1620 rad. There was no life shortening, and in a strain with very low cancer rates, the cancers were even lower in the exposed groups.  See, e.g.:
http://www.radscihealth.org/rsh/Data_Docs/1-3/1/Rev%202%2013122Spal.html

During the Manhattan Project and subsequent work, e.g., by NCI, dose rate was often used as a measure. See, e.g., Egon Lorenz:
http://www.radscihealth.org/rsh/Data_Docs/1-3/1/1312lo54.html
(Report on Manhattan Project work - Zirkle (Ed.) 1954, McGraw-Hill [something like Vol. 22?])

http://www.radscihealth.org/rsh/Data_Docs/1-3/1/1313lo50.html
(NCI 1950 - after post-War suppression of data had again been established, picking up from the pre-War '30s, led by the FDA to favor drugs over radiation therapies - especially with the new antibiotics instead of the serums of the 1930s.)

E.g., the "Yearbook of Radiology" (Yearbook Publishers) reported on successful low dose therapies in the 1947 and 1948 volumes, and none in the 1949 and 1950 volumes.

For infections, there are the many papers by Kelley and Dowell, mostly in Radiology from 1928-1941, incorporated in their 1942 text on the subject "Roentgen Treatment of Infections."  See:
http://www.radscihealth.org/rsh/docs/Kelly42/Kelly42TableOfContents.htm

Regards, Jim