[ RadSafe ] AW: The Luan Story

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Mon Sep 11 02:47:17 CDT 2006

Dear Prof. Becker,

I am inclined to take your word as sufficient regarding the so far inadequate presentation of the epidemiological part of the Taiwanese experience.

Utterly deficient however in my view is the reason offered by the Taiwanese officials that a proper publication of these readily available epidemiological data has been forborne since cancer incidence and mortality were indistinguishable from the population average. For chronic exposures of up to 20 mSv per year such a finding would have been worth reporting, given the fact that today the vast majority of radiation workers is exposed to much, indeed very much lower doses and nevertheless regular updates of the corresponding epidemiological findings are published - which by the way usually are also compatible with the null-hypothesis of no effect!.

As an exculpation of the Taiwanese experts one may of course allow for the improper reluctance of editors (improper if exercised without judgment) to publish statistically 'insignificant' results and the thereby activated self-censorship in our brains, but it is obvious that the failure to reject the null-hypotheses of no effect in this case would indeed have been a significant finding.

Kind regards, Rainer

Dr. Rainer Facius
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Aerospace Medicine