[ RadSafe ] ...- CO2 consequences

Ruth Sponsler jk5554 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 12 19:20:04 CDT 2006

Hello Dr. Dukelow and all on the list -

Thank you so much for helping to clarify the issue
with the list, and for helping me to better understand
some of the modeling work and the parameters that the
modelers have used that include insolation, volcanism,
and particulate aerosols (volcanic and manmade by open
burning and coal burning, especially in China and
other rapidly developing countries), as well as carbon
dioxide.

In addition to my post at
http://wesupportlee.blogspot.com/,

the NEI blog at

http://neinuclearnotes.blogspot.com/
 is actively discussing and comparing CO2 emissions of
various energy sources along with discussing Dr. James
Lovelock's recent book and speaking tour.

Nuclear energy basically comes out _best_ with regard
to lowest possible CO2 emissions per megawatt of
energy produced, over the entire lifecycle of the
process.

On our side, I think that political feelings, indeed
justified by many years of bad experience with the
'environmental movement' crowd, are obscuring the
science and blurring the necessary policy decisions.
Our allies are _not_ the coal and oil companies.  We
should instead be working to advance technologies such
as plug-in hybrid cars, which are usually charged
using baseload power at night.

On the 'other side' of the 'environmental movement'
crowd, I believe that, at some point (I hope that it's
very soon), they will become completely discredited
among climatologists, ecologists, biologists, other
scientists, and the general public, because the net
effect of their anti-nuclear actions (lawsuits,
blockades, unneccessary regulation on nuclear
facilities but much less regulation on fossil fuel
facilities) has been to increase usage of fossil
fuels.  (Their 'renewable' energy sources are only
about 20% efficient in terms of [actual
megawatts/rated megawatts], as exemplified by the
Danish wind grid - see
http://wesupportlee.blogspot.com/2006/09/danish-wind-gridis-20-capacity-enough.html
 )

I hope that the members of the 'environmental
movement' who have perhaps taken climatology or
ecology classes in college will have the intellectual
honesty to step forward, as Dr. Patrick Moore has, and
admit the gravity of their anti-nuclear mistake.

The members of the "environmental movement" who retain
an anti-nuclear status, despite the implications of
fossil-fuel induced global warming for the planet are,
in all honesty, _anti-environmentalists_ despite all
of their claims to the contrary.

The necessary policy decisions to deal with the global
warming research results will involve much better
opportunities for Radsafers and for young folks in
college choosing an engineering field.

One of the things we should be doing now to prepare
for the needed changes is making sure that our
childrens' schools are providing adequate math and
science preparation for them, such as making sure that
kids are taking algebra by 8th grade so that they can
avail themselves of a full curriculum of math and AP
classes in high school.

Best wishes -

Ruth Sponsler