AW: [ RadSafe ] Fw: [NoMoreDU] Fw: DU bill PASSED!! New challenge:Gov. Lingle

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Wed Apr 11 16:18:16 CDT 2007

Bob, (and RADSAFErs)

I am not able to understand your message because of several reasons. My
comment is strictly scientific and I hope that nobody dares to defame and
ridicule it as "anti-US"!!!!! Furtheron everybody is invited to look at the
RADSAFE archives and to read my harsh criticism of those anti-DU freaks and
groups distributing all kind of unscientific and ridiculous s..t.

Point by point:

1) You write: "...to prove that our soldiers....". Are you not concerned
with soldiers of other nations, not to talk about the civilian population?
Are you not aware that soldiers of other nations served and serve in the
Balkan, in Afghanistan and in Iraq? Great Britain, Poland, Italy, African
countries, Japan, Denmark, Spain etc. etc.? I hope that this is simply a
matter of common speaking in the USA ("our troops", "our heroes") as
distributed in mass media.

2) The idea to investigate the possible uptake of DU is not your
"copyright". I would call it "common sense" and it has been researched and
published since long. (Your wording "setting up a program for the next war"
seems to indicate that you expected already then the next one?)

3) The question of DU, its uptake, its (non existing) hazards have been
discussed extensively on RADSAFE, so a search in its archives would reveal a
lot of links from where to retrieve informations about DU contamination,
uptake and discussions about (non existing) health consequences. Most of
them originate in the USA.

4) As far as I remember from the discussions on RADSAFE mentioned above,
there has been done a very large number of studies, which would answer your
questions, though much was done on those victims of "friendly fire" and
others with DU fragments in their body. Again - you may find it in the
RADSAFE archives.

5) After the "warlike" operations in the Balkan, where also DU weapons were
used several studies were conducted to screen military personnel for DU
uptake and also for possible contamination of drinking water, food etc. I
know for sure about three studies, concerning body burden, one for Italian
soldiers, another one for Swedish ones and a third, comprehensive one about
the impact of DU by the IAEA. There might be many more. They included of
course body burden. I am sorry - you started the discussion by claiming that
no investigations of uptake was available, so please search for the reports
in the net yourself.

6) So all these investigations which you claim to be done, have already been
done. What was the result?  Z E R O !

Did you expect anything else? As long as the topic is of political interest
for some groups it will be rolling - whatever those funny and silly
scientists may say.

7) What you claim in your message has been done since long, the results are
available, but it is politically not opportune to take any reasonable
conclusion.

8) To repeat again my often sent message to RADSAFE: Nuclear Power (and DU)
is not a matter of science, but of politics.

Best wishes,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.