[ RadSafe ] Nuclear power in Hawaii?

Andrew Buchan radsafe at painahawaii.com
Mon Apr 2 16:33:05 CDT 2007

We are trying to build a cobalt irradiator here on Oahu.
I can tell you it would be a very hard row to hoe here. Mostly because a
group called Earth Justice has a strong presence here, and would make it
their life's goal to prevent an NPP from coming in. Plus the Sierra Club
and the usual suspects.

The Big Island actually has a clause in their county code banning
nuclear power. I think the state might have something in their
constitution as well. The state ag found the county code clause to be
invalid when they tried to amend it to prevent a cobalt irradiator from
going in there in 1999.

Actually a large NPP would probably not be that great an idea. But a
couple of smaller next gen pebble bed reactors might be good.

Andrew Buchan
RSO Pa'ina Hawai'i