AW: [ RadSafe ] Battle for Chernobyl

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Tue Apr 3 08:25:50 CDT 2007

Al,

The Chernobyl accident happened 21 years ago. This is time enough to create
all kind of speculations, stories and especially numbers which all have one
thing in common: They cannot be verified, but most of them can be simply
categorized as not being correct. One exception is the number of 31 deaths
from acute radiation sickness and even more important from the so-called
beta burns. Even after 21 years new "facts" and numbers appear - like the 60
dead helicopter pilots, which I never heard of before. Given the vast number
of liquidators involved there would have far more than 2500 persons died in
an unaffected population during the time interval of 21 years!

As it could be seen well in the documentations showing original material the
liquidators had practically no radiation protection equipment but their
exposure was "limited" by limiting the time they spent in the highly
radioactive zones. Of all I know, there was hardly any radiation measurement
equipment available, in any case not for the liquidators. Most numbers on
exposure seem therefore to be very rough estimates and I would not use them
to calculate any radiation damage or even deaths. The horror numbers of
Greenpeace and the like are merely fiction and politically motivated. Btw it
took all those anti's weeks if not months after the accident to start their
propaganda.

There is no doubt, that in the Sovjet Union record keeping was unreliable,
but in the case of the Chernobyl accident lack of records is fully
understandable. In such a catastrophic situation one has to fight the
consequences and not to keep detailled records. No ressources are available.
I have been heavily involved in fighting the consequences of the Chernobyl
accident in Austria. My country was very far away, with no immediate and
acute danger of radiation, though being the most affected one in Western
Europe, but there was a completely chaotic situation in Austria (ever since
criticized by me!) and all my efforts were in vain to calm down some
"decision makers" and to convince them to use their brains and not let
measure hundreds of thousands of samples of no worth on a 24h 7 days a week
basis for getting the situation under control.

I think one has to be very cautious when dealing nowadays with Chernobyl
reports. The reports released by Western European Countries within about
half a year after the accident give very reliable information on the impact
in these countries. For the Austrian one I can claim this, because I wrote
it myself, but it is in German and hardly available any more. The IAEA
report of a big international conference on "10 years after Chernobyl" gave
an excellent summary, the IAEA conference on the occasion of the 20th
anniversary I did not attend, but I would believe that you might find
answers to your questions there. Both publications should be still available
and I recommend to look for them at the IAEA web site.

Hope this helps a little.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD