[ RadSafe ] Dose to Emergency Responders

Robert Young Robert.Young at state.tn.us
Thu Apr 5 16:11:36 CDT 2007

Don,

Reference 71 FR 186 which is a DHS part. DHS took over most of FEMA, but I think this is it.  The topic of this FR notice is:

Preparedness Directorate; Protective
Action Guides for Radiological Dispersal Device (RDD) and Improvised Nuclear
Device (IND) Incidents; Notice.

At least it is a reference in a Federal Regulation other than 10 CFR.

FYI

Robert N. Young, X-ray Registration & Machine / Device Permitting Manager

TN - Division of Radiological Health
3rd Floor, L & C Annex
401 Church Street
Nashville, TN 37243-1532
USA

(615) 532-0384 Voice
(615) 532-0385 FAX
e-mail: Robert.Young at state.tn.us

PS: Unless specified otherwise, any attached file(s) is an Adobe Corporation Acrobat Portable Document Format (.PDF) file and will require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to open, view, or print. This reader is available free of charge from the Adobe Corporation's www site; http://www.adobe.com.
>>> "Mercado, Don" <don.mercado at lmco.com> 04/05/07 3:49 PM >>>
All,

I'm looking for a regulatory citation that states the allowable dose
limit to emergency responders in an accident involving radioactive
material. I took a hazmat emergency responder training course yesterday
and they said 25 rem was the limit, but couldn't cite any regulation to
back that up. I've seen in 10 CFR 50.67 where the source term in an
accident at a power plant can be no more than 25 rem, under various
circumstances, but I don't think that applies.

Thanks in advance!

Donald P. Mercado
Radiation Safety Officer
Explosives Safety Officer
Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company
O/9K-2S, B/157
1111 Lockheed Martin Way
Sunnyvale, CA 94089
Ph. (408) 742-0759
Fx. (408) 756-0504
Don.Mercado at lmco.com
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but
rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally
worn out, and loudly proclaiming
-- WOW!!! -- What a Ride!!!"