[ RadSafe ] Dose to Emergency Responders

Jim Hardeman Jim_Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us
Thu Apr 5 16:22:41 CDT 2007

Don --

I don't think you're going to find this in "regulation" -- I could be
wrong -- but you can definitely find it in federal guidance. The
fundamental reference would be the EPA's Manual of Protective Action
Guides and Protective Actions for Nuclear Incidents (EPA-400-92-R-001)
on page 2-10, Table 2-2 "Guidance on Dose Limits for Workers Performing
Emergency Services".

Since I can't attach the table, I'll just repeat the contents:

Dose Limit (rem)   Activity
5                         all
10                       protecting valuable property
25                       life-saving or protection of large
populations
>25                     life-saving or protection of large populations
(only on a voluntary basis for persons fully aware of the risks
involved).

I can send you a PDF of the document if you need it.

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
4220 International Parkway, Suite 100
Atlanta, GA 30354
(404) 362-2675
Fax: (404) 362-2653
E-mail: Jim_Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us

>>> "Mercado, Don" <don.mercado at lmco.com> 4/5/2007 16:49 >>>
All,

I'm looking for a regulatory citation that states the allowable dose
limit to emergency responders in an accident involving radioactive
material. I took a hazmat emergency responder training course
yesterday
and they said 25 rem was the limit, but couldn't cite any regulation
back that up. I've seen in 10 CFR 50.67 where the source term in an
accident at a power plant can be no more than 25 rem, under various
circumstances, but I don't think that applies.

Thanks in advance!

Donald P. Mercado
Radiation Safety Officer
Explosives Safety Officer
Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company
O/9K-2S, B/157
1111 Lockheed Martin Way
Sunnyvale, CA 94089
Ph. (408) 742-0759
Fx. (408) 756-0504
Don.Mercado at lmco.com
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but
rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally
worn out, and loudly proclaiming
-- WOW!!! -- What a Ride!!!"