[ RadSafe ] Eating and Drinking (UNCLASSIFIED)

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Fri Apr 6 19:49:37 CDT 2007

With respect to the common prohibition on eating and drinking in a
restricted area, it is not in regulation.

When someone applies for a license, they may use the published guidance
documents (e.g., the NUREG 1556 series) to develop their application, which
generally have model procedures that prohibit eating and drinking in a  restricted
area.  If the applicant commits to following the approved  guidance, the
application process is simplified.  Once approved, those  commitments made in the
application are tied into the License Conditions, and  may be cited, if
violated.  This is the mechanisms for the enforcement  actions Sandy Perle posted to
the list.

I think someone else pointed out (and, I'm sorry, I didn't save that email)
that the eating and drinking "prohibition" may flow from the ALARA regulation,
 and that's a fair assumption.  There is no regulatory prohibition on eating
and drinking in a restricted area, but once you commit to follow the approved
 guidance, there might as well be.

Barbara L. Hamrick, CHP, JD

In a message dated 4/4/2007 9:58:14 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,