[ RadSafe ] Carnegie Mellon professors question advice for nuclearattacks

Wed Apr 11 11:32:41 CDT 2007

I assume that the professors had more meat in their statements than came
through in the article.  Still, I question some of what is here.  Much
of what you would want on hand for sheltering in place (as opposed to
building a dedicated fallout shelter, which I would never advise) are
things that you would want on hand anyway, for routine use or other
emergencies.  Food stored for emergencies should be things that you eat
anyway, and stock should be rotated, so there is no real cost.  A good
first aid kit is always worth having.

Including "the cost of storage space and the time needed to tend it"
decreases the credibility of their position.  To the extent supplies are
consumables that are routinely used, the storage space costs zero.  The
volume of the rest of the supplies are small enough as to be of no
consequence.  The "time needed to tend it" comes out of leisure time, as
opposed to time that could be used to make money.  If it amounts to more
than a couple hours a year, I would be surprised.  If people engaged in
emergency planning and preparations rather than watching "American Idol"
results shows, they would be well ahead of the game.