[ RadSafe ] Bacterium can survive doses of ionising radiation thousands of times stronger than would kill a human

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 13 11:59:34 CDT 2007

Fred,
I would look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinococcus_radiodurans

Many "simple" organsims have mechanism to withstand
the effects of toxins, radiation, salinity, pH, etc.
There are probably more that resist ionizing radiation
that have not been identified.

It is interesting to note that Deinococcus radiodurans
was identified in the 1950s.  Yet, everytime it is
mentioned it is like a new discovery.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11447-tough-bug-reveals-key-to-rad
> iation-resistance.html
>
> Fred Dawson
> Fwp_dawson at hotmail.com

“We must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent or omniscient — that we are only 6 percent of the world’s population; that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind; that we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity; and therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.”
-- John F. Kennedy

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist