[ RadSafe ] Wind Farms

stewart farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 13 12:28:02 CDT 2007

Hi,
Interesting post. Does anyone have any news articles to forward on this
subject of bird kills,  or cites to legal action between environmental
groups duking it out over wind farms vs. wildlife protection?

Many years ago [in 1982]  I wrote a satire about "the most dreaded of all
power generation accidents --the Loss of Blade Accident [LOBA]" after the
president of a windmill company fell to his death  from a windmill he was
inspecting at a wind farm in California after the windmill threw a blade.
Believe I posted this 1982 LOBA satire [vs. LOCA] to Radsafe some years ago.
The satire included such phrases for LOBAs as "deadly blade breakdown
fragments, radiating to great distances". A lot of folks did not see it was
a satire and attacked me for criticizing an unfortunate windmill accident
resulting in a fatality, saying the accident was at an "early prototype"
windmill, and the problems would be worked out. Droll.

Thanks,
Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Consulting Scientist
Farber Technical Services