[ RadSafe ] RE: birth defects in Basrah

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 12:15:24 CDT 2007

Was that the only city reported on?  Have
epidemiological studies been performed in other large
cities?  What were the birth defect rates 5 years ago?
 You need to validate all of the data, not just
cherry-pick the stuff that supports your position.

As noted by the Michigan Department of Community
Health at
http://www.mdch.state.mi.us/pha/osr/BirthDefects/summary.asp

"During 2003, there were 9,383 cases of birth defects
reported for children under one year of age. This
translates to an prevalence rate of 725.0 cases per
10,000 resident live births. For children born during
2002, there were 11,128 cases reported for children
under 2 years of age for an prevalence rate was 869.3
cases per 10,000 resident live births. The prevalence
rate for 2 year olds based upon reported cases has
been above 800 per 10,000 for the past three years and
following a significant effort to improve reporting
quality and completeness."

I doubt there is much DU in Michigan.

--- James Salsman <jsalsman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why do you keep posting stuff about folate?  Basrah
> was the only place
> in the vicinity reporting an increase in birth
> defects.

“We must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent or omniscient — that we are only 6 percent of the world’s population; that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind; that we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity; and therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.”
-- John F. Kennedy

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist