[ RadSafe ] Global Warming

Fri Aug 3 11:49:32 CDT 2007

The evidence is clear that climate change happens, and that stuff going
into the air are one of the factors.  Whether human activity is the
major factor or just a factor is certainly subject to debate.  I think
things like a "carbon tax" is silly, but there are a number of things
that I am pretty confident of:

(1) Acid rain is real.  There are cities in America and Europe in which
limestone buildings and statues are being etched by acid falling from
the sky.  There are lakes that used to have healthy fish populations
that no longer do, and the acid shock after a rain appears to be the
reason.  The connection between burning fossil fuel and acid rain is
well established.

(2) Smog is real.  I mean, really, is there anyone who is going to argue
that?  Is there anyone who believes the brown haze that most cities are
submerged in is cause by solar fluctuation?

(3) Deforestation is real.  If you look at satellite pictures of almost
any of the remaining great forests you will see a difference from one
year to the next, and it is almost never in the direction of more trees.
The change is almost never one that is good in terms of air cleaning or
erosion or wildlife habitat.

If you feel uncomfortable doing something to address global warming, do
something to address these three demonstrable, real, and important
issues.  Don't not address them simply because that actions would help
with global warming (if it is real), too.