[ RadSafe ] Security and background check for radioactivematerialusers

Syd H. Levine syd.levine at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 3 23:40:33 CDT 2007

Bob, or others who know about such things:

NRC also has orders in place to enhance security if a facility has over the
quantity of concern, around 16 Ci in the case of AmBe sources, I believe.
We have had an inspector here in Kentucky insist that NRC includes
cumulative activity in that determination.  This particular regulated entity
has a 15 and a 3 Ci AmBe source and is being told to get ready to do the
increased security dance.  Is this correct?

The fellow jokingly suggested he would put the two sources in two different
buildings.  If the requirement does apply to cumulative activity, what
effect would doing that actually have?

Thanks.

Syd H. Levine
AnaLog Services, Inc.