[ RadSafe ] 'Radioactive Boy Scout' Charged in Smoke Detector Theft David Hahn Saturday, Aug

LNMolino at aol.com LNMolino at aol.com
Sat Aug 4 15:24:24 CDT 2007

Gee he's really kind of stupid since you can get a smoke detector at Home
Depot and Wal-Mart for about 5 bucks come Fire Prevention Week.

LNM

'Radioactive Boy Scout' Charged in Smoke Detector Theft
David  Hahn
Saturday, August 4th, 2007

DETROIT —  A man who became the  subject of a book called "The Radioactive
Boy Scout" after trying to build a  nuclear reactor in a shed as a teenager
has been charged with stealing 16  smoke detectors. Police say it was a
possible effort to experiment with  radioactive materials.

David Hahn, 31, was being held Friday on a $5,000  bond in the Macomb County
Jail after he was arraigned Thursday on felony  larceny charges. Clinton
Township police Capt. Richard Maierle said Hahn  denied the charges.

A district court clerk on Friday said Hahn did not  have an attorney. The
Associated Press called the jail in an effort to speak  to Hahn, but a
sheriff's spokesman said the jail does not give messages to  inmates. His
preliminary examination was scheduled for Aug.  13.

Investigators say Hahn was arrested Wednesday after a maintenance  worker saw
him stealing a detector from a ceiling in an apartment complex  where he
lived. They later found the other detectors in his apartment in the  Detroit
suburb of Clinton Township.

Police say that Hahn's face was  covered with open sores, possibly from
constant exposure to radioactive  materials. [Or maybe exposure to meth or
something else -
http://www.foxnews.com/images/303168/0_61_080407_David_Hahn.jpg - JH  ]

Hahn learned that a small amount of a radioactive isotope could be  found in
smoke detectors during his experiments in the 1990s, according to a  1998
article in Harper's Magazine that later expanded into a book by  journalist
Ken Silverstein.

Maierle said his department evacuated the  apartment complex and called the
state police bomb squad, which found no  hazardous materials.

He said officials learned in January that Hahn had  returned to the area
after serving in the U.S. Navy.

"Because of his  past, we were a tad bit concerned," he said, adding his
department alerted  the FBI when they found out he was back in Michigan. "We
didn't want any  other radioactive sites to pop up."

Hahn's first brush with authorities  came in August 1994, after police
stopped him during an investigation into  neighborhood tire thefts. Officers
found radioactive materials, chemicals,  rocks, plastic and glass bottles and
two exploded pipes in his car, Maierle  said.

In a subsequent interview with a state health official, Hahn said  he had
been trying to produce energy and hoped it would help him earn his  Eagle
Scout badge, according to the Harper's article. Hahn also acknowledged
having a backyard laboratory in a potting shed at his mother's home in
Oakland County's Commerce Township, the article said.

Authorities  declared the structure a hazardous materials site and sealed it.
Crews from  the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency led a Superfund cleanup
in 2005  that included dismantling the shed and shipping its remains to be
buried at  a low-level radioactive waste site in Utah, the article said.

Hahn  received a Scouting merit badge for atomic energy in 1991, the article
said.

Maierle said Hahn's 1994 arrest was expunged in 1996. His  arrest this week
was reported by The Macomb Daily of Mount  Clemens.

Louis N.  Molino, Sr., CET
FF/NREMT-B/FSI/EMSI
Owner and President of LNM Emergency  Services Consulting Services (LNMECS)
Freelance  Consultant/Trainer/Author/Journalist/Fire Protection  Consultant

LNMolino at aol.com

979-412-0890 (Cell  Phone)
979-690-7559 (IFW/TFW/FSS Office)
979-690-7562 (IFW/TFW/FSS  Fax)
979-985-5383 (Home Phone)

The comments contained in this E-mail  are the opinions of the author and the
author alone. I in no way ever intend to  speak for any person or
organization that I am in any way whatsoever involved or  associated with unless I
specifically state that I am doing so. Further this  E-mail is intended only for its
stated recipient and may contain private and or  confidential materials
retransmission is strictly prohibited unless placed in  the public domain by the
original author.