[ RadSafe ] RE: [AMRSO] On This Day( NY Times) - Observation of Moment of Silence

Flood, John FloodJR at nv.doe.gov
Thu Aug 9 14:39:13 CDT 2007

You are overlooking (or dismissing) some huge realities.

First, bombing was very imprecise in WWII - bombers dropped lots of
bombs from aircraft in formations with the hope that some of the bombs
would hit the miliatry and manufacturing targets.  (Colateral damage was
considered just an inevitable side effect.)  Large bombs made bigger
explosions, requiring fewer bombs to get the job done.  The atomic bomb
is the ultimate example - one big explosion takes out everything.  It
remained the highest technology in bombing until smart bombs were
developed that can be flown in the front door of the target.  For
above-ground targets visible from the air, nuclear weapons are obsolete.
That's the reason for the interest in the bunker-buster design - if the
target can't be seen, the smart bombs can't hit them, so military
systems are being moved underground all over the world.  But in 1945,
Hiroshima and Nagasaki had war production going a maximum capacity and
were legitimate targets, no matter what type of bomb would be used.

Second, your explanation of 60-year-after-the-fact motivations omits
forcing an end to the war with Japan.  Absent the use of those 2 bombs,
how would the war have concluded?  The loss of life on both sides from
an invasion of Japan obviously would eclipse the toll from Hiroshima and
Nagasaki.  I've never seen a reasonable counter to this.  It is true
that Japan initiated surrender overtures in June, 1945, but with
conditions unacceptable to the Allies, and hence the Pottsdam
Declaration by the Allies - only unconditional surrender is acceptable.
Japan offered to surrender again after the first bomb was dropped and
before the second, but with the same rejected conditions.  If they had
the time to do that, they also had the time to surrender without
conditions, which they eventually did after the second bomb.  The actual
surrender happened 5 days after the second bomb, but that delay was due
the internal military insurrection that tried to block the surrender.
And BTW, how was the Allied command structure to know that was the
reason for the delay?

The opening shot of the Cold War was the joint occupation of Berlin,
well before the bombing in Japan.  I have no doubt that the warning
value that dropping the bomb would have on the Soviets was considered in
the planning stages, but a test drop over international waters would
have been just as good.  Intimidating the Soviets was not sufficient
justification by itself to use the bomb in Japan.

Now dip into a lifetime's worth of knowledge and experience about our
politicians at all levels of government and answer this for yourself -
would any politician leave himself/herself in the position of having the
American public find out that we went ahead with an invasion at a
terrible cost when we had a bomb in our arsenal that could have done the
trick without the invasion?

John R. (Bob) Flood
Radiological Health
Nevada Test Site