[ RadSafe ] RE: [AMRSO] On This Day( NY Times) - Observation of Moment of Silence

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Thu Aug 9 19:56:15 CDT 2007

At 07:14 PM 8/9/07 +0200, Peter Bossew wrote:
>Grant, Don,
>
>I disagree with you in this point.
>The war of the Allies against the Nazis & Japanese was necessary, and in
>that sense a good one. This must not be forgotten forever.
>But still, the atomic bombs and the destruction of Dresden (like all the
>air raids of this kind, after it has turned out the the anticipated effect
>- demoralization of the people - did not happen as planned; quite in the
>opposite - British and US knew that, and still carried on), were crimes.
>These were atrocious crimes within a just war... history is complicated as
>this. (As another example of this complexity, the Stalinist regime was a
>highly criminal one, but still we have to be thankful that they bore the
>brunt of destroying the Nazis.)

         Have you forgotten that Hitler and Stalin were allies for some
twenty months?  (Remember the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, signed in August,
1939.)   Stalin was getting rid of a competitor, and was a far worse
criminal that Hitler ever thought of being.  Not that AH wasn't bad, merely
that Stalin was far worse.

Steven Dapra

>According to most historians, as far as I know, the dropping of the A
>bombs on J is today considered as the initial shot of the Cold War,
>politically targeted against the SU, only physically Japan was chosen, for
>various reasons:
>- it was easy to justify (this works until today obviously), because J at
>that time was a criminal, genocidal regime;
>- the US & Allies in the Pac. war have suffered heavy losses against J, so
>this was, to many in the West, a kind of fair revenge;
>- the Japanese as such were systematically de-humanized by US propaganda
>during the war (as unfortunately it happens so often in wars), so moral
>doubts could be anticipated to be no major factor;
>- it had to be shown to the SU that J belongs to the US-sphere.

         The USSR was also criminal and genocidal.  sd

>In fact, J was about to capitulate at that time, it was merely a matter of
>formalities and negotiations. And then, even if one believes that the
>first bomb was necessary, what about the second only 3 days later without
>letting them due time to react ?
>
>The Nagasaki bomb was "necessary", because also the effect of  a Pu bomb
>on human guinea pigs had to be tested. Maybe more importantly, the
>capacity of the US to produce more than just one bomb had to be
>demonstrated to the SU.

         I rather doubt that anyone wanted to use a Pu bomb to make the
Japanese into human guinea pigs, nor do I believe anyone was trying to
demonstrate US bomb-making capacity to the USSR.  This sounds a little
far-fetched, if not outright revisionist.  sd