[ RadSafe ] Re: On this day - moment of silence

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 16:34:28 CDT 2007

It is always convenient to look at history from the
comfort of the present day, when we have the results.
I would suggest that you talk with your grandparents
or those who lived in those days about what the world
was like.

whether or not we wish to wage war in the future will
also depend on those who are not like us.

--- ncwelliver at aol.com wrote:

> I appreciate everyone's contributions to this
> topic.? I'm not sure, however, that this argument
> (was dropping the atom bomb on Japan justifiable,
> complex, etc.) will ever be solved by logic.? I
> appreciate the warriors that keep me and my family
> and my country safe.? I also think that the only way
> to break the cycle of violence and war is to stop
> justifying or denigrating what happened and just
> grieve.? As long as we stay "stuck" in logic about
> why this happened and who did what to whom, there is
> no resolution.? If we allow ourselves to really look
> at the photos of war, any war, including the photos
> of Nagasaki taken in August, 1945, and feel the
> heart-wrenching grief that these images evoke, there
> is hope that we will decide that we no longer wish
> to continue to do such things.
>
> Perhaps that is what the moment of silence is
> intended to evoke.
>
> Nancy Welliver
> Hanford Nuclear Site

> AOL now offers free email to everyone.  Find out
> more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.

““Few of their children in the country learn English... The signs in our streets have inscriptions in both languages ... Unless the stream of their importation could be turned they will soon so outnumber us that all the advantages we have will not be able to preserve our language, and even our government will become precarious.”
-- Benjamin Franklin, circa 1750, on German immigration to Pennsylvania

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com