[Fwd: Re: [ RadSafe ] RE: [AMRSO] On This Day( NY Times) - Observation of Moment of Silence]

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 16:58:46 CDT 2007

Peter,
As you know little of American history, I doubt that
you should comment about the Vietnam war.  I would
suggest that you start with the Truman Doctrine.

We should remember that soldiers are human and suffer
the pangs of stress, fear, and regret.

Since none of the following in related to nuclear
power, weapons, etc., I would suggest that we move on.
 If you or others would like to contact me directly,
please do so. Give the others on this list a rest.

--- Peter Bossew <peter.bossew at jrc.it> wrote:

> ((sorry something went wrong in my previous mailing
> attempt))
>

> Action, which is assumed (correctly or incorrectly,
> but subjectively
> honestly) as necessary to prevent a crime from
> happening, is no crime
> itself, by definition, given that the action is
> (again: correctly or
> incorrectly, but subjectively honestly considered)
> adequate.
>

> As to your examples, this is hard to follow from a
> non-US perspective.
> 1) In Europe only lunatics have weapons at home
> (except CH, where this
> is the base of defense philosophy). Such cases which
> you describe happen
> once in years, if at all.
> 2) The Vietnam war was a monstrous US crime
> altogether, also sui
> generis. What happened within that war, Mi Lai and
> other collateral
> damage, were sub-crimes, so to say.
>
> pb
>

> davidhelton1 at bellsouth.net wrote:
>
> Sometimes one crime does justify another crime. Two
> examples follow:
>
> 1.	Your house is being broken in to. It is legal to
> use force to stop the entry, including deadly force
> which results in murder. The crime is breaking and
> entry, the other crime is murder. When someone is
> breading and entering you have no idea what there
> intent is including to murder your whole family.
> 2.	You are engaged in battle, such as Vietnam, and
> many US troops are going to die unless the Vietcong
> are killed (they have mortars). The Vietcong are
> among many Vietnamese civilians. Do you take a
> chance on killing a few civilians during the combat
> or retreat with many US soldiers dying during the
> retreat due to mortar fire and the Vietcong getting
> away free? Do you accept possibly killing a few
> civilians’ verses the possibility of the Vietcong
> killing many US troops?
>
> For item 1, I, and a lot of people like me, own a
> semi-automatic high powered pistol which is by my
> bed in case of need for home and personnel
> protection. Since I have no idea what there intent
> is on entering or if they armed and if so with what,
> I believe in the use of deadly force, which means I
> would shoot with the intent to kill.

> Peter Bossew
>
> European Commission (EC)
> Joint Research Centre (JRC)
> Institute for Environment and Sustainability (IES)
>
> TP 441, Via Fermi 1
> 21020 Ispra (VA)
> ITALY
>
> Tel. +39 0332 78 9109
> Fax. +39 0332 78 5466
> Email: peter.bossew at jrc.it
>
> WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int
>
> "The views expressed are purely those of the writer
> and may not in any
> circumstances be regarded as stating an official
> position of the European
> Commission."

““Few of their children in the country learn English... The signs in our streets have inscriptions in both languages ... Unless the stream of their importation could be turned they will soon so outnumber us that all the advantages we have will not be able to preserve our language, and even our government will become precarious.”
-- Benjamin Franklin, circa 1750, on German immigration to Pennsylvania

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com