[ RadSafe ] BERYLLIUM REQUEST?

Ellars, Charles Charles.Ellars at qsa-global.com
Tue Aug 21 07:40:33 CDT 2007

Here is a link to a manufacturer's site that has info on Beryllium.
http://www.brushwellman.com/
To my knowledge, there are currently no *quick and dirty* tests for
beryllium.  It requires an ICP-MS or other such instrument.  We
currently do wipe samples and air samples (microcellulose 0.45um
filters) and send the samples to a contract lab.  There was some work on
a colorimetric test from LANL, but as far as I know, it was not very
sensitive and is not in general use.

The main hazard of beryllium is when inhaled versus ingested.  There is
a illness associated with beryllium called Chronic Beryllium Disease.
The following is from the website mentioned:

*INHALATION - People who are sensitive to inhaled beryllium particles
can develop a serious and sometimes fatal lung disease called chronic
beryllium disease ("CBD"). Chronic (Long Term) health effects may take
months or years to develop. CBD is a condition in which the tissues of
the lungs become inflamed, restricting the exchange of oxygen between
the lungs and the blood stream. CBD does not occur in most people.
However, it is not currently possible to tell who is potentially
allergic and who is not. Therefore, all workers need to be protected and
airborne beryllium particles must be controlled by implementing
engineering controls and good work practices. Three factors are
required, and all must be present for a person to develop CBD. First,
the individual must be exposed to airborne beryllium in the form of a
dust, fume or mist. Second, the particles must be tiny enough to reach
the air sacs deep in
the lungs; and third, the person must be sensitive or allergic to
beryllium.
Small, respirable beryllium particles depositing on hands, gloves and
clothing could be transferred to the breathing zone and inhaled during
normal hand to face motions. Care should be taken not to touch the face
with contaminated hands or clothing. Wear proper personal protective
equipment to prevent skin and clothing contact with beryllium particles.
Wash hands if they become contaminated.*

Hope this helps.
Charlie Ellars