[ RadSafe ] BERYLLIUM REQUEST?

Geo>K0FF GEOelectronics at netscape.com
Tue Aug 21 09:37:18 CDT 2007

Beryllium metal  is used in the radiation field for several purposes, mostly
as an X-Ray  "window" material . It's lightweight
atomic structure is nearly transparent to X-Rays and is therefore used on
both X-Ray generating equipment and X-Ray
detecting equipment - e.g.  probes such as G-5 FIDLER are available with Be
windows for an extra cost. The metal is
used in gyroscopes too.

Mixed with an Alpha emitting isotope, such as Am-241, Pu-239, Ra-226, the
combination becomes a neutron generator.
These are commonly used in  well logging and road construction instruments.

Beryllium alloyed with copper is a common aircraft and spacecraft material.

As an engineering metal, Be alloys are being used in an ever increasing rate
in military, commercial and consumer products. Follows
is a brief list of applications that would not at first glance contain a
potentially toxic material:
Cell phone battery contacts.
Audio Jacks.
Power jacks.
Memory card connectors.
SIM cards.
EMI shielding.
Likewise beryllium/aluminum is a unique alloy, called  AlBeMet®.

BeO, beryllium oxide ceramics have a unique combination of electrical and
thermal characteristics. Being an excellent high R.F. and
high voltage insulator, while at the same time being an excellent thermal
conductor, BeO is invaluable for high tech and high power electronics
applications. Virtually all high power  radio transmitting tubes have BeO
insulation. In other applications BeO blocks are used as a
thermal transfer medium between some hot part that is at high electrical
potential and a heat sink which is at ground potential.

BeO is routinely used in:
Automotive electronics
Medical diagnostic machinery
Power Technology
Aerospace
Avionics
Wireless telecommunications
Lasers

While an office worker or med tech might be in the vicinity of beryllium on
a daily basis, it is
doubtful that any kind of exposure would ever happen. On the other hand,
since Be pervades
our modern technical apparatus, someone in a machine shop, manufacturing
facility, scrap yard, landfill, recycler, incinerator etc. environment
could easily come into contact with the element during some destructive
process being carried out on said apparatus.

Inhalation is the worst type of Be exposure.
If it is suspected in a home or business, that becomes a job for the EPA (if
in USA).

George Dowell
NLNL
New London Nucleonics Lab