[ RadSafe ] Pacemakers

Julia jwhtwrth at lanl.gov
Tue Aug 21 13:04:59 CDT 2007

Hello Mr. Brunkow,

Just a note on pacemakers.  The OSR Project, which is part of the
Global Threat Reduction program in NNSA NA-21, has recovered and
disposed of a large number of Pu-238 pacemakers.  Other technologies
are used nowadays, but this project is available to deal with the few
Pu-238 devices that are left out there.  You are correct that this
was a very robust technology that remained viable over relatively
long periods, due to the relatively long Pu-238 half life.  We also
recently put together a fact sheet for some crematory associations to
help people in this field identify radioactive types of pacemakers.

Julia Whitworth
Senior Project Leader, OSR Project
Los Alamos National Laboratory