[ RadSafe ] RE: Little Leagues and Radioactive Terrorism

Tue Aug 21 13:26:23 CDT 2007

I knew someone many years ago who was very resistant to having a
plutonium powered pacemaker installed, even though other options were no
longer viable (I don't remember all the details).  Finally is was
pointed out to him that the radiation could only be a danger to him if
he was alive, and without the pacemaker that wouldn't be the case for
much longer.  He finally consented and in a fairly short time was
healthier that he had been in years.

On a related topic, has anyone here been involved in making Pu238?  I
have long been curious about the process.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On
Behalf Of Brunkow, Ward
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 10:16 AM
To: Shawn Hughes (Road2); radsafe at radlab.nl
Subject: RE: [ RadSafe ] RE: Little Leagues and Radioactive Terrorism

All this rhetoric brings up the question of nuclear pacemakers. When I
was an RSO at a major university and medical school 20 years ago, we
were actively installing them and removing some of them from patients,
when we weren't taking bullets out of President Reagan. I was
flabbergasted to find out the total quantity of Pu238 in one of these
things. I can't remember now how much ..but I would think it would be a
concern in our day and age, especially if the perpetrator was able to
get several of them. They are stainless double encapsulated devices yet
the low energy photon scatter was still giving the patient a couple
hundred millirem a year external exposure..or should I say internal....
As a new RSO, I was called in during an emergency operation one night
when they were removing one and stood outside the operating room  door.
The Doctors were always very anxious to get rid of these things as you
can imagine, and before long plop.......I had a bloody pacemaker in my
hand. What a night mare to ship back to the manufacturer also. Maybe all
the nukes have been replaced now with batteries, and the everready
bunny....but they were really realiable..just like the RTGs INL is still
building for space ships and satellites.

W. G. (Ward) Brunkow
U.S. DOE Contrator