[ RadSafe ] Technology to detect radiation

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 26 22:15:24 CDT 2007

For you edification, (1) radiotherapy implantion is
also called brachytherapy. (2) The wire is not
radioactive.  In this procedure, there is a
radioactive seed at the end of a flexible wire that is
pushed through a catheter into the tumor site.  (3)
The patient is not put under general anesthesia.

See
http://www.cancer-radiation.com/about/Mammosite.htm

--- Sandy Perle <sandyfl at cox.net> wrote:

> In order to educate some "experts" here on Radsafe,
> who scoff at techniques
> that they are not aware of, here is some specific
> breast cancer treatments
> that have been and continue to be used:
>

> -----------------
>
> Internal radiotherapy
>
> This treatment is rarely used in the UK but is still
> practiced elsewhere in
> the world.  It gives extra radiation to the area
> around the tumor.
> Sometimes it is called a 'radiotherapy implant'.
>

> You will have a general anesthetic.  Thin hollow
> tubes are put into your
> breast.  Later radioactive wires are passed through
> the middle of the tubes.
>

> The wires are usually left in place for a few days.
> You'll stay in hospital
> in a single room and your friends and family will
> only be allowed to visit
> for a short time each day.  This is so they won't be
> exposed to radiation.
> Children and pregnant women will not be allowed to
> visit you at all.
>

> The radioactivity is in the wires, so it goes when
> the doctor takes the
> wires out.  Then it is completely safe for you to be
> with other people
> including children.
>
> --------------
>

> --------------
>
> Interstitial Therapy (or "Brachytherapy") - the
> temporary placement of
> radioactive materials within the breast, usually
> employed to give an extra
> dose of radiation to the area of the excision site
> (called a "boost").
>
> ------------
>

> In conclusion, there are many treatments for breast
> cancer. Just because
> someone here on Radsafe doesn’t know about nor is up
> on current treatment
> plans, doesn’t make another individual who describes
> these techniques a
> wannabe “Radsafe expert.” However, this is typical
> of this individual. Lack
> of knowledge on a specific subject causes his
> inferiority to escalate and he
> must respond in order to see his name and comments
> posted, attacking others
> who care to provide a simple explanation on the
> topic at hand. This person
> has been hibernating for sometime it seems. Guess
> he’s hungry for more
> antagonism and it’s time to shift his in competency
> to the group, once
> again.
>

> Sander C. Perle
>
> President
>
> Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
>
> 2652 McGaw Avenue
>
> Irvine, CA 92614
>

> Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714 ext 2306
>
> Fax:(949) 296-1144
>

> Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/

"All of the old-timers knew that subprime mortgages were what we called neutron loans --  they killed the people and left the houses. . . .
"LOUIS S. BARNES, a partner at Boulder West, a mortgage banking firm.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com