[ RadSafe ] Truck Driver Charged With Lying About Radioactive Cargo

Jose Julio Rozental joseroze at netvision.net.il
Thu Aug 30 01:39:42 CDT 2007

Your question "If the truck was an open truck, why wasn't the box properly
secured?"

This happened in Brazil, not a Molybdenum-Technetium generator, but  with
Iridium source, for Industrial Radiography
A radiographer and their assistants utilizing a l00 curie Ir-192 source,
was performing  field radiography at pipeline in a  trench. After the
conclusion the work, long enough in that warm day, from 4;00 a.m. to 6;00
p.m.,  the  assistants  gathered the  con­tainer, and  all other's
accessories  and survey  meter,  and placed  them on the tailgate of  the
truck.  Unfortunately the camera was not kept  into the locked box,
projected to store the unit safely,  even in the case of a collision and
overturn. Usually, before leaving the place,  the radiographer is instructed
of following procedures,  as required by the national  compe­tent  authority
to  confirm  the  adequacy for transport.  However, the  work was longer
than the usual and the  workers exhausted, as consequence they made only  a
check  to  confirm the shielding of  the source. The  device was  supposed
to be  shielded, lamentable  not safely. Unfortunate this was not the unique
abnormal factor, the workers gone out the customer's facility with the
truck tailgate open, to better ventilation.

                        While returning  to the  manufacturer's facility
they did  not perceive that the container  fell onto the road,  and  in this
way began an incident that could be very danger­ous (and really there were
medical treatment). Only when they arrived to the manufacturer's plant the
radiographer notices  that  the container was  lost,  and mention  the  fact
to   the radiation  Protection Officer (RPO) to take  care of  the
situation.  The  RPO decided to go back in  a very low speed to he
customer's facility,  about 50 miles (80 km) away,  searching with a very
sensitive radiation detector,  as  carefully  as  possible,  trying  to
find  the container  in some part of the road.  However the search was
unfruitful,  the situation was, therefore, out of the licensee control, in
this  condition the RPO decided to communicate to Regulatory Authority (I
was responsible to take care of emergency responsible with radioactive
sources, this was before Goiania)

                        Meanwhile,  few minutes  later that  the container
felt onto  the road,  a trucker found the unit in the roadway.  Knowing
nothing about radiation,  he tools the unit to the job and  called some few
colleagues to examine the apparatus, trying to  understand what it was.
However, notwithstanding the source had been stored in the safe position,
un­lucky it wasn't  connected properly and the  trucker,  while examining
the container, pulled  the source  out of the cable,  onto the  floor,
following he handled the source,  as well as six of his colleagues,  trying
to understand  what  it was,  some minutes later the trucker  re­placed the
source into the camera and  pushed  it  until  the  shielded position,  then
he took  the container at home,  where he repeated the same operation to is
family. Fortunately, at that moment, the housewife was  much more interested
in finishing the dinner and  the trucker left he camera in a corner of the
house. Next day in the morning, before left home to work, he watched the TV,
then ...

This was reality, I did the investigation and also was responsible to
enforcement.

I prepared an scenario, with several alternativas to study different
attitudes, because, it was a realistic fact and I was invited by IAEA to
present this case in many IAEA International Training Courses, including USA
at the Argonne Training Division

Jose Julio Rozental

joseroze at netvision.net.il

Israel