[ RadSafe ] Truck Driver Charged With Lying About Radioactive Cargo

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Wed Aug 29 21:56:25 CDT 2007

Aug. 29

         This story leaves out more than it tells.  What was the
radioactive material?  If the box did indeed fall off the back of the
truck, why did the driver lie about it (if he did lie about it) and say
someone stole it?  That makes no sense at all.  How did it fall off the
back of his truck?  I can scarcely believe anyone would be allowed to haul
around a box of radioactive material in an open truck where the box could
slide between the slatted sides.  If the truck was an open truck, why
wasn't the box properly secured?

         According to the article, the driver was driving from Madison to
Milwaukee, and the box was found in Waukesha.  Waukesha is about 60 miles
from Madison.  How could the driver have traveled 60 miles before the box
fell off?  What does getting lost have to do with anything?  How did he
discover that the box had fallen off his truck, when did he find that out,
and why didn't he summon assistance as soon as he knew it was missing?

         If the truck had a closed box, what happened?  Did the driver
drive off with the box sitting on the tailgate?  Did he drive off with the
door open?   I wouldn't call it insane, I would say it's so stupid it
defies description (at least based on the article that's my assessment of it).

Steven Dapra