[ RadSafe ] Truck Driver Charged With Lying AboutRadioactive Cargo

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Fri Aug 31 10:42:14 CDT 2007

Aug. 31

         In a message dated Aug. 30, Clayton Bradt wrote, "There were
numerous DOT violations and there still are unanswered questions about what
actually happened to the package, and they can't get a straight answer from
the driver."

where does the driver's employer fit into all of this?  Some of those
violations may be the employer's fault, such as (only guessing now)
placarding violations.  Did anyone inspect the truck before it departed the

         I was talking about DOT regulations that have been put down in
writing in a book of regulations --- regs such as placarding, drug tests,
log books, and physicals.  In light of that, and in light of my
hypothetical suggestion about placarding violations, the suggestion below
about being trained not to lie is notably dumb suggestion.  In fact, since
Bryan Kirk introduced the role of the broker/transporter, where was the
broker/transporter in this tragicomedy?  Was one required on this
shipment?  If so, why didn't he check the load to see that it was properly
secured?  Has the FBI grilled him?  Perhaps some hot dog US attorney should
be snarling at him about ten years in jail for not seeing that the load was
properly secured.

Steven Dapra