[ RadSafe ] "Do Not Read This If You Are Anti-Nuclear Energy"

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Sun Dec 2 14:08:41 CST 2007

There are no new license applications in California.  The point,  however,
was to say that, indeed, anti-nuclear activists have an impact, and it  can be
very substantial.  I think it is incorrect to state, as you  did:

" I see a constant nit-picking effort that is perceived to have influence
beyond its real influence. (Most of the crying about anti-nuclear influence is
on list like this.)"

There is a very real and substantial influence.

And, while it's true that laws can change.  When the lawmakers receive  most
of their information from the anti-nuclear community, that obviously
influences the direction of the change.  They are extremely vocal, and  dedicated to a
single cause.  Although the nuclear industry may (and does)  provide a
contravening opinion, they are viewed as "the bad guys," and rare is  the politician
that has the appropriate knowledge to  adequately evaluate the information,
so they go with "the good  guys."

And, at this time, California does purchase approximately 22% of its power
from out-of-state.  Frankly, and this is just my opinion, other states  should
be charging Californians an additional premium on the power imported to  us
because California doesn't appear willing to accept the costs of adequate
in-state power generation.

Barbara

In a message dated 12/2/2007 6:37:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,