[ RadSafe ] "Do Not Read This If You Are Anti-Nuclear Energy"

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 2 22:48:03 CST 2007

Barbara,
Again, if the anti-nuclear forces are so strong, why
is the NRC getting new license applications.  Sorry,
but the people of California may not represent the
rest of the country.  Maybe when the costs get high
enough, the people of California will do something, as
they did with Gray Davis.

Maybe the people in California who what nuclear power
should also get vocal about what they want.

--- BLHamrick at aol.com wrote:

> There are no new license applications in California.
>  The point,  however,
> was to say that, indeed, anti-nuclear activists have
> an impact, and it  can be
> very substantial.  I think it is incorrect to state,
> as you  did:
>
> " I see a constant nit-picking effort that is
> perceived to have influence
> beyond its real influence. (Most of the crying about
> anti-nuclear influence is
> on list like this.)"
>
> There is a very real and substantial influence.
>
> And, while it's true that laws can change.  When the
> lawmakers receive  most
> of their information from the anti-nuclear
> community, that obviously
> influences the direction of the change.  They are
> extremely vocal, and  dedicated to a
> single cause.  Although the nuclear industry may
> (and does)  provide a
> contravening opinion, they are viewed as "the bad
> guys," and rare is  the politician
> that has the appropriate knowledge to  adequately
> evaluate the information,
> so they go with "the good  guys."
>
> And, at this time, California does purchase
> approximately 22% of its power
> from out-of-state.  Frankly, and this is just my
> opinion, other states  should
> be charging Californians an additional premium on
> the power imported to  us
> because California doesn't appear willing to accept
> the costs of adequate
> in-state power generation.
>
> Barbara

> Standard Time,
> crispy_bird at yahoo.com writes:
>
> So, why  are there many license application for
> nuclear
> power plants?
>
> Laws  can and changed.  Consider all the opposition
> the WIPP in New  Mexico.
>
> If Californians are not willing to build nuclear
> power
> plants (and I assume coal due to pollution
> concerns),
> then they  should be willing to pay for electrical
> power from other  states.   Economics and technology
> are the driving  forces.

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." -- Sir Winston Churchill

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com