[ RadSafe ] "Do Not Read This If You Are Anti-Nuclear Energy"

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 3 21:38:45 CST 2007

Dr. Raabe,
So, have you contacted your state representatives?
Have you organized to improve the view of nuclear
power in the state?

It is interesting that may who bemoan the anti-nuclear
forces and the laws are in California.  In Maryland, I
do not see any concerted effort to stop the expansion
of Calvert Cliffs.  It may be there, but I am not
aware of it.

--- Otto  Raabe <ograabe at ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> At 09:21 AM 12/3/2007, Bailly, Helen A wrote:
> >Do you have proof that there is an effort to
> eliminate nuclear energy?
> >I see a constant nit-picking effort that is
> perceived to have influence
> >beyond its real influence. (Most of the crying
> about anti-nuclear
> >influence is on list like this.) I also see power
> companies recognizing
> >the economic advantages of supplying energy using
> nuclear power.
> December 3, 2007
>
> No, it is not "constant nit-picking".  Rather, it is
> an indefatigable
> and carefully orchestrated anti-nuclear effort.
>
> For about 20 years I have watched the dedicated and
> tireless efforts
> of a few of anti-nuclear activists to influence
> members of the
> California legislature and even to apparently
> provide help in writing
> proposed laws to hurt the evil nuclear industry.
> Plans for a very
> well-designed low-level radioactive waste facility
> in the very dry
> and barren Mohave Desert were scrapped through
> political moves by
> these dedicated folks that influenced even the
> Federal government.
> Then they wrote a California "radioactive waste
> plan" that was
> nothing more than a cover for blocking any low level
> waste disposal
> in California ever. This is all part of the strategy
> to choke the
> evil nuclear power industry. When Legislative
> Committee votes were
> taken on this and many other antinuclear proposals,
> the committee
> majorities consistently sided with the two or three
> antinuclear
> activists who spoke in favor, while showing apparent
> disdain for the
> dozen or more industry representatives and radiation
> safety experts
> who opposed these measures.
>
> The same small group also tried to get the
> legislature to fire the
> senior members of the California Department of
> Health Radiological
> Safety Branch because they were biased and
> opinionated as proved by
> the fact that so many of them were Certified Health
> Physicists.
>
> This, of course, is only my personal opinion
> concerning past events
> based on the hours spent I at the California Capitol
> watching the
> processing of bills, doing some testifying and
> serving on a State
> radiation safety advisory committee.
>
> Otto
>

> Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
> Center for Health & the Environment
> University of California
> One Shields Avenue
> Davis, CA 95616
> E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
> Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." -- Sir Winston Churchill

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com