[ RadSafe ] "Do Not Read This If You Are Anti-Nuclear Energy"

Otto Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Mon Dec 3 14:42:13 CST 2007

At 09:21 AM 12/3/2007, Bailly, Helen A wrote:
>Do you have proof that there is an effort to eliminate nuclear energy?
>I see a constant nit-picking effort that is perceived to have influence
>beyond its real influence. (Most of the crying about anti-nuclear
>influence is on list like this.) I also see power companies recognizing
>the economic advantages of supplying energy using nuclear power.
December 3, 2007

No, it is not "constant nit-picking".  Rather, it is an indefatigable
and carefully orchestrated anti-nuclear effort.

For about 20 years I have watched the dedicated and tireless efforts
of a few of anti-nuclear activists to influence members of the
California legislature and even to apparently provide help in writing
proposed laws to hurt the evil nuclear industry. Plans for a very
well-designed low-level radioactive waste facility in the very dry
and barren Mohave Desert were scrapped through political moves by
these dedicated folks that influenced even the Federal government.
Then they wrote a California "radioactive waste plan" that was
nothing more than a cover for blocking any low level waste disposal
in California ever. This is all part of the strategy to choke the
evil nuclear power industry. When Legislative Committee votes were
taken on this and many other antinuclear proposals, the committee
majorities consistently sided with the two or three antinuclear
activists who spoke in favor, while showing apparent disdain for the
dozen or more industry representatives and radiation safety experts
who opposed these measures.

The same small group also tried to get the legislature to fire the
senior members of the California Department of Health Radiological
Safety Branch because they were biased and opinionated as proved by
the fact that so many of them were Certified Health Physicists.

This, of course, is only my personal opinion concerning past events
based on the hours spent I at the California Capitol watching the
processing of bills, doing some testifying and serving on a State
radiation safety advisory committee.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140