[ RadSafe ] query

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Mon Dec 17 22:09:52 CST 2007

Dec. 17

         Try this
link:  http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/nuclear-facilities

         The first paragraph reads:  "A National Cancer Institute (NCI)
survey published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, March
20, 1991, showed no general increased risk of death from cancer for people
living in 107 U.S. counties containing or closely adjacent to 62 nuclear
facilities. The facilities in the survey had all begun operation before
1982. Included were 52 commercial nuclear power plants, 9 Department of
Energy research and weapons plants, and 1 commercial fuel reprocessing
plant. The survey examined deaths from 16 types of cancer, including
leukemia. In the counties with nuclear facilities, cancer death rates
before and after the startup of the facilities were compared with cancer
rates in 292 similar counties without nuclear facilities (control counties)."

         According to a table at the end of the article, Fort St. Vrain was
included in the study.

Steven Dapra