[ RadSafe ] Po-210 Suppliers

Geo>K0FF GEOelectronics at netscape.com
Wed Dec 19 08:02:05 CST 2007

All Po-210 in the US is supplied by Russia now. Per my conversation with the
reactor boys at Oak Ridge.

Po-210 in liquid is nasty because it tends to "crawl' up the sides of the
container. Perhaps this is from the  "equal and opposite action/reaction"
kinetic energy gained by alpha emission. There is a huge recoil reaction
upon each decay. Being very poisonous, an LD50 lethal quantity is not to
large. I calculated it was only about .12 mg or 550 microCuries worth (my
calcs), but never had that verified by an expert. I've read that an inhaled
dose of only 1/10th that amount can be fatal.

In the US, a sealed quantity test source has an EXEMPT QUANTITY of 1/10th
microCurie only. ( Schedule B, 10 CFR 30.71)

If a solid foil form will
work, a generally licensed STATICMASTER 3" brush refills contain 500
microCuries each, cost about
$20.00 each.  We use them for alpha sources to power our research
experiments.

Perhaps if you can get more information as to the researcher's application,
someone on
RADSAFE may be able to recommend an alternative isotope.

Good luck.

I've been told my posts are too basic for this group and a waste of
time.Comments welcome one way or the other.

.
George Dowell