[ RadSafe ] Re: Radiation Hormesis

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Thu Dec 27 20:18:21 CST 2007

And, I'm sure it comes as no surprise that anti-everythings also argue  just
the opposite (of what Floyd noted below) about animal studies when it suits
them.

Just a couple of weeks ago (December 18, 2007), there was a very sensible
editorial in the LA Times about the ongoing uproar regarding phthalates in
plastics ("Stop Scaring Us").  The author was roundly attacked in three  letters
(published December 23, 2007).  (One from the eminent scientist  Senator Diane
Feinstein - said with tongue firmly in cheek).  And, of  course, one of the
criticisms was that the columnist had dared to suggest that  because phthalates
cause cancer in rats, it doesn't necessarily mean it will  cause it in humans.

The letter to the editor stated, "[The columnist] repeats the old saw that
rats have different metabolism than people. So he'd rather test people? Animal
testing to predict risks posed to humans by toxic substances is a
well-established principle that provides the basis for the nation's fundamental  cancer
policy and a host of laws seeking to protect us against this deadly  disease.
If a chemical can induce tumors in mice, we are not immune."

The problem I have with the anti-everythings (aside from the  cherry-picking)
is they seem to be quite willing to make any argument, even  to the point
where they may make two completely inconsistent arguments depending  on the day
of the week (or the audience), to support their agenda.

Barbara L. Hamrick

In a message dated 12/27/2007 11:10:49 AM Pacific Standard Time,