[ RadSafe ] Re: Radiation Hormesis

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Fri Dec 28 18:45:01 CST 2007

December 28

         This introduces an interesting point which leads us into the
philosophy of regulation.  Some people have pre-dispositions to get cancer
--- it runs in their families.  Should we regulate to accomodate people who
are likely to contract cancer no matter what?  If the regulators follow the
ICRP and NCRP risk estimates it would seem that we are doing so.

         Let's back up again and remember that 65 percent of cancer is
caused by smoking and diet.  A possible ten percent is caused by
infections, seven percent by reproductive and sexual behavior, four percent
by occupation, three percent by alcohol, and three percent by sunlight and
radiation.  Medicine and medical practices cause one percent, and one
percent is miscellaneous causes.  This list is from Doll and Peto, The
Causes of Cancer: Quantitative Estimates of Avoidable Risks of Cancer in
the U.S. Today, Oxford University Press; (1981).  I am quoting from a
reproduction of D&P's figures in Environmental Cancer --- A Political
Disease by Lichter and Rothman, Yale Univ. Press, (1999); p. 62.  R&L quote
two other pairs of research writing in 1977 and in 1979, who present
roughly similar estimates.

         My point?  If people don't want to get cancer the best thing to do
is stop smoking and eat a proper diet.  Quit worrying about phthalates,
Alar, and ethylene dibromide.

Steven Dapra