[ RadSafe ] Salsman's uranium trioxide gas proof

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 12:46:42 CST 2007

Dear Dr. Raabe,

I read your 1978 Health Physics article on plutonium (cited in full
below) carefully and with great interest.

I note that you measured condensation in a very small enclosed space.
How would you compare the condensation rate of metal oxide vapors in
such a space with the rate in open air?

I was unable to find any mention that you had matched the mass of the
plutonium in the recovered combustion product with the mass consumed
by the combustion.  Did you or your colleagues make that comparison?

I note that you, like others from Jofu Mishima through Maryanne
Parkhurst, have used mass impactors to collect particulate combustion
product.  Isn't it true that mass impactors force excess condensation,
and allow gases to escape collection?

Would your apparatus have been able to detect any plutonium oxide gas?  How?

Sincerely,
James Salsman