[ RadSafe ] Communicating Uncertainty

Ruth Sponsler jk5554 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 2 19:01:23 CST 2007

Dear Dr. Morris -

I like the idea a lot!  The public has been introduced
to a set of terms, which brings familiarity.

Many, if not most of HPs' safety communications are in
the "'virtually certain' [such-and-such process] is
safe" category of 99% or better.

Many risk assessment standards are a couple levels of
certainty higher, also, at the 99.99% level or higher.
 Perhaps this could be called "exquisitely certain."

Those terms are great, and I think they're good
"benchmarks."  Nuclear technology risks, since they're
usually quite well-known, will usually fall into a
well-defined category of solid certainty.

Best wishes!

~Ruth
http://wesupportlee.blogspot.com/

http://www.ipcc.ch/activity/uncertaintyguidancenote.pdf