[ RadSafe ] Re: Shipyard worker study

Ruth Sponsler jk5554 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 20:36:10 CST 2007

Keith -

Here are a few notes that I hope will be helpful -

1. The NSWS did _not_ compare workers vs. non-workers.
 The reason is that there is a well-known phenomenon
in epidemiology called the "healthy worker effect."
Basically, a sample of folks who go to work every day
and live "normal lives" is a somewhat more selective
sample than a general sample of the 18-65 y,o. total
population would be....because the general population
includes a number of individuals with significant
health or behavioral problems.  These problems that
may preclude work include physical disabilities,
mental disabilities, prisoners, addiction, and some
others.  Just as a simple example - prisoners have
higher HIV and hepatitis B  rates than the general or
working population.  A sample of workers (that
excludes prisoners) is going to be "healthier" with
respect to HIV, hepatitis B and tuberculosis because
prisoners and a large proportion of drug users were
excluded.

http://www.ajph.org/cgi/content/full/94/7/1218

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16186458&query_hl=11&itool=pubmed_docsum

2.  That being said, there *are* quite a few studies
that compare workers to non-workers.  One of the best
is the study of British radiologists in which
radiologists were compared with *both* other
physicians and also with a couple of groups of the
British population (by social class).  This was a
carefully-conducted study by the late Sir Richard
Doll's group that showed reduced mortality among
radiologists.

http://bjr.birjournals.org/cgi/content/full/74/882/507?ijkey=c9f466a7d8938a1ce9c05f1959a0e3fe20f557a9

See the citations for discussion.  This articles is
rather well-cited.

3.  Some studies have compared incidence of an illness
- e.g. breast cancer - across a variety of
occupations.  These are basically worker-to-worker
comparisons involving a wide variety of occupations.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=7796201&query_hl=14&itool=pubmed_docsum

In this case, "high risk" occupations included
housewives, registered nurses, clinical laboratory
technicians, schoolteachers, social workers,
secretaries and typists, and meat wrappers and
cutters.

4.  For many more citations involving both
worker-worker comparisons and worker-general
population comparisons, see

http://www.radscihealth.org:9000/rsh/dd3/_database.jsp

5.  Regarding the specific question in Keith's email:
there are quite a few studies that compare workers of
various industries to non-workers.  Very often, the
worker cohorts are significantly healthier than
non-worker groups.

Comparison of nuclear workers with a general
population in California -
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16808626&query_hl=36&itool=pubmed_DocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16081494&query_hl=36&itool=pubmed_DocSum

Cancer incidence in Australian nuclear workers -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=17053302&query_hl=36&itool=pubmed_docsum

http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/joh/48/5/48_358/_article

6.  Other workers - discussion of HWE (healthy worker
effect):
"Obvious cases" of jobs that require physical fitness
- where employees are obviously screened for physical
fitness before entering an occupation -

major league baseball -
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16700406&query_hl=26&itool=pubmed_DocSum

football -
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=17214401&query_hl=32&itool=pubmed_docsum

=More "normal" occupations -

"Healthy worker effect" also present in oil refineries
-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=9172090&query_hl=24&itool=pubmed_docsum

"Healthy worker effect" tends to decrease as years of
employment go by...'new hires' may be screened for
health/fitness whereas those with seniority stay on,
despite having possibly picked up health problems.

Example: German firefighters:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=17020604&query_hl=26&itool=pubmed_docsum

7. Other aspects of work -
Overtime can cause injury/illness problems -

http://oem.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/62/9/588

Early retirement isn't always good -

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/331/7523/995

8.  UNhealthy workers - workers LESS healthy than
general population:
Interestingly, some "unhealthy workers" are as close
as the meatcutters in your local supermarket:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=7951779&query_hl=16&itool=pubmed_docsum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=9554414&query_hl=48&itool=pubmed_docsum

9. Studies of "excess relative risk" basically factor
out cardiovascular health and outcomes related to
infectious disease and accidents when comparing
nuclear workers to general population:

The Cardis et al. study has been controversial - other
listmembers may wish to discuss -

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/331/7508/77

Hope these citations are helpful for a general
background on the subject -

~Ruth Sponsler