[ RadSafe ] Re: Shipyard worker study

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 9 20:37:40 CST 2007

Keith,
The term is cohort population. They were comparing the
two shipyard groups.  In the A-bomb studies, those who
received only a small exposure were compared to those
who were progressively closer to ground zero.

It is difficult to compare workers to a general
population, as worker groups do not include children,
the elderly, those with chronic diseases, etc.

The problem with the shipyard study was they were not
as healthy as the general public.  This is unusual as
worker populations are usually healther then the
general public, as noted above.

--- welch at jlab.org wrote:

> I assumed that the SMR being equal to 1.00 was
> because it was simply
> "defined" as the baseline.  In other words the
> non-exposed workers were
> being defined as the "general population" to which
> the nukes were
> compared. That sounds consistent with what Ruth
> Sponsler said.
>
> Keith Welch
>
> > "-it is seen that the Nones group has a SMR of
> 1.00. This means it exactly
> > corresponds with the general population data - US
> B Vital Statistics"
> > Hiserodt
> >
> >   The controls of the NSWS were like the exposed
> and the general
> > population.
> >   However, the rare mesthelioma deaths were 3-5 x
> for all, perhaps from
> > asbestos exposure. They are so few (18, 8, 10 in
> >.5, <.5, No extra rem)
> > that it does not affect this vast study with
> 2,797, 1,168 and 4,453
> > deaths, respectively.
> >
> >   Howard Long

“We must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent or omniscient — that we are only 6 percent of the world’s population; that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind; that we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity; and therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.”
-- John F. Kennedy

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist