[ RadSafe ] OFF-TOPIC: The hot and cold of history...

Ruth Sponsler jk5554 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 21:11:41 CST 2007

Dear Mr. Rogers -

I agree with you re: Iraq.

It's a problem here for those of us who consider
ourselves "centrists."

I, for one, would like to be more enthusiastic about
George Bush's nuclear energy initiatives, such as the
Global Nuclear Energy Partnership.  I like some of the
ideas therein, and I think more ideas like
partnerships with Canada (CANDU) should be explored.

I fear that the GNEP "baby" will be thrown out with
the "bathwater" if a Democrat gets elected in 2008.

I think that there's been significant progress on the
energy issue in the last couple of years.

However, the effort to occupy Iraq "on-the-cheap" with
insufficient troop/equipment levels from the get-go
back in 2003 dilutes my support for what could
potentially have been a good administration.

I have a lot of problems with the Democrats' energy
policies.  (I'll not go into the anti-nuclearism of
our liberal Democrats that's similar to views of the
Australian Labor Party...)

I'd rather comment on a general issue.

The Clinton Admin. never pushed for better
fuel-economy standards - even during the booming 1990s
when technological innovation was very strong in the
computer/software sector.  That innovation should have
been transferred to thee automotive sector.  As it is,
I have switched from US made cars to Japanese - built.
 My maintenance/gas mileage experience with a rather
new Toyota as well as an older Subaru and Suzuki has
been far better than with the Buick, Mercury and even
the Jeep and VW that I've driven.

There are a lot of folks here in the United States who
are tired of seeing things done "on the cheap."  A
commitment to war should involve the entire population
and not just a few soldiers who bear many burdens.

Also, it's important to invest in our schools and
colleges - and not just "pass on costs" as
greater-than-inflation tuition hikes.

Yet, liberal (Left) Democrats seem to engage in more
sniping and sarcasm than in constructive dialogue and
actual proposals.

Liberal (left) Democrats ignore the numbers with
respect to energy needs.

What's a centrist to do?

I've labelled this "off-topic" because it is -

~Ruth