[ RadSafe ] Whoa

Dale Boyce daleboyce at charter.net
Thu Feb 8 22:36:12 CST 2007

Whoa.  Tungsten is typically less dense than DU.  It is a very useful
element for day to day use (light bulbs, etc.).

Folks, a heavy metal is a heavy metal, though not created equal.  The
radioactivity is THE RED HERRING.  Chemical toxicity is usually the limiting
factor.

Tungsten is very difficult to use in a mass manufacturing process if maximum
denisty is a concern.  Machinable tungsten is usually sintered or at least
alloyed to far below the theoretical density.

Tungsten "bullets" are  not a good solution to anything that has a health
impact.

A Plea:  The original charter of the RADSAFE email list was to answer
question about the SCIENCE of questions posted to the list.  It has been
hijacked into a nearly useless political forum.

As a consequence, many of the names I recognize as authorities on science
based health physics have left, or at least rarely join in.

To paraphrase Melissa who gave up two generations ago as administrator of
the list, "Sigh".

Dale