[ RadSafe ] Doyle and Ryan Gulf war reproductive health paper

Doug Aitken jdaitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Thu Feb 8 21:01:00 CST 2007

At 07:58 PM 2/8/2007, Robert J. Gunter wrote:
>"The fact that the DoE is trying so hard to come up with tungsten
>replacements, and issuing press releases about it, should be proof enough
>that there is a reason to do so."
>
>James, we can agree on this.  There is a "reason".  Sometimes things are
>done simply for PR (public relations).  This should not be a surprise to
>anyone living in the US of A.

Well: To this layman, there is a little more than public relations in
this.......

And as for James Salsman's "Proof" (hoping that this neat red herring will
strengthen the case against DU armaments) is a nice example of twisting
logic.......

The reason for not using Tungsten, until now, has been that it mushrooms on
contact with armour. DU, in spite of being slightly lighter, has the
wonderful characteristic of "self-sharpening" as it penetrates the armour,
due to its ability to shear locally.

The latest efforts are to mix Tungsten with other materials that will
change the overall crystalline structure to promote localized shear and
therefore sharpening, rather than mushrooming on contact with the target.

Doug Aitken                     Office Phone 281 285-7966
QHSE Advisor                    Home Phone 713 797-0919
D&M Operations Support  Cell Phone    713 562-8585
Schlumberger Technology Corporation