[ RadSafe ] Re: Shipyard worker study - NO Unhealthy Controls!

howard long hflong at pacbell.net
Fri Feb 9 11:32:41 CST 2007

No, Keith, you assume incorrectly. SMR 1.00 means what Hiserodt wrote, below:
  The OBSERVED death rate in the control [No rad.] group of workers happened to be identical to the B Vital statistics for the general population. It was NOT simply taken as a convenient (but not identical) control!

  This also confirms that there was NOT an "unhealthy control group", another distraction that JJ attempted, despite exposure to asbestos and slightly increased deathrate from (rare) mesothelioma for all of the shipyard workers.

  Read the original data, conveniently organized in "Underexposed - "!
  Promote hormesis to liberate nuclear power!

  Howard Long

welch at jlab.org wrote:
  I assumed that the SMR being equal to 1.00 was because it was simply
"defined" as the baseline. In other words the non-exposed workers were
being defined as the "general population" to which the nukes were
compared. That sounds consistent with what Ruth Sponsler said.

Keith Welch