AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: Shipyard worker study - NO Unhealthy Controls!

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Sat Feb 10 06:27:34 CST 2007

Howard, (Keith),

The SMRs reported in Matanoski's work were determined by comparison with the white-male general population!

<quote>The risk of death during follow-up was compared to 1970 U.S. white male lifetable probabilities.<endquote> (p. 7 in 1.1 Introduction/Overview of: Matanoski Genevieve M, Health Effects of Low-Level Radiation in Shipyard Workers. DOE Contract Number: DE-AC02-79EV10095, Final Report DOE/EV/10095--T2, The Johns Hopkins University, Department of Epidemiology, School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, June 1991)

The attached (PDF-file) table is an excerpt from Matanoski's report and supports to some extent the claim that the Non-Nuclear-Workers (NNW) were - with respect to selected(!) diseases - less healthy than U.S. white-male (USWM), in particular with respect to "all malignancies" and within this class with respect to "non-respiratory malignancies". With respect to "circulatory" diseases (where predominantly one would expect to see a healthy worker effect), the NNW (and the nuclear workers even more so) did indeed display a marked healthy worker effect in dying significantly less frequent than USWM. The overall mortality of NNW from all causes was indistinguishable from USWM. With respect to "respiratory malignancies", all(!) worker groups showed an increased mortality with respect to USWM which was statistically significant for all workers pooled together and nearly so for NNW. Regarding the nuclear workers, this is in contrast to the several chronic radiation exposure epidemiological studies where reduced mortality is observed most frequently for lung cancer!

In this regard, both your and even more so John Jacobus' rendering of Matanoski's data appear too simplistic.

Sometime ago I distributed a graph in a PDF-file displaying the Matanoski data for these mayor findings. If someone likes to see it he may send me his request.

Best regards, Rainer