[ RadSafe ] cost per kilowatt ratio

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 02:46:48 CST 2007

What is the ratio between the cost of a 75% wind, 25% hydroelectric
(including pumped hydro storage) electricity grid, and one with 100%
nuclear power?

According to my reasoning, if you include waste disposal costs,
nuclear is much more than three times as expensive.  If you do not
include waste disposal, and even grant Price-Anderson indemnification
and assume the total cost to the government for cleanup is zero (which
is absurd) then it is still more than twice of expensive, according to
the market at present.  There is little evidence that the cost of
nuclear energy will fall, and a lot of evidence that the cost of wind
power will continue to fall, and a lot of evidence that hydroelectric
and pumped hydro storage will remain about the same.

However, I am in favor of nuclear power in outer space.  I believe
that is the only correct place for it, and that it is necessary there.
 I am a moderate liberal conservationist, a fiscal conservative,
pro-choice, pro-single payer health care, anti-Republican Party, and
in favor of instant runoff voting and choice voting on optical scan
ballots.  I am also an agnostic quaker, but not superstitious to the
extent possible.  I also believe that low-hanging fruit is important.
I am also in favor of the use of nuclear medicine.  On that note, I
would remind readers that the uranyl ion was used to stain DNA before
the structure of DNA was even known.  It should not come as a surprise
to learn that it affects chromosomes and causes birth defects.  What
should come as a surprise is how often so-called health professionals
ignore and suppress that fact.

Sincerely,
James Salsman