[ RadSafe ] Stack Emission Limits - Clarification

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Sat Feb 10 14:32:03 CST 2007

To all,

A kind, brave soul pointed out that in my earlier message, I had relied on
the wrong ALI for Cs-137.  I kept thinking something was wrong, and  re-checked
the math, but never went back to the source.  I had pulled out  the ingestion
ALI, not the inhalation ALI.

So (recognizing the limitations of converting ALI's to dose), indeed you
cannot meet the time-averaged annual concentration limit in 10 CFR 20, Appendix
B and exceed a 100 millirem dose to a member of the public:

(2E-4 uCi/ml x 1 min) + (0 uCi/ml x 525,599 min)]/525,600 min (per  year) =
3.8E-10 uCi/ml, which exceeds  the 10 CFR 20, Appendix B  effluent limit for
Cs-137 (which is 2 E-10 uCi/ml).

Now that I think about it, Otto's question may have been more along the
lines of this:

Say, I release 2E-4 uCi/ml x 1 min, at an exhaust rate of V/min, so I
release 2E-4 x V uCi total.  Then, I run my exhaust the rest of the year  with no
releases at a rate of U/min, such that the final "annual" concentration  is:

(2E-4 x V)/[(V x 1 min) + (U x 525,599 min) < 2E-10 uCi/ml, which will  be
true if my ratio of U/V is high enough.

I thought there was language in the regulations about using the
"time-averaged" annual concentration, but I can't seem to find it.   That would prevent
the "bulk" averaging of total activity over total air volume  that would result
in Otto's original point.

Thanks for listening.

Barbara L. Hamrick