[ RadSafe ] Stack Emission Limits - Clarification

Wesley wesvanpelt at verizon.net
Tue Feb 13 10:58:05 CST 2007

Barbara,

Thanks for your several updates to the stack emission limit discussion. As
always, your comments are very probing and useful.

Indeed, your example shows that even for a very short release time (1
minute) the annual average concentration is the critical calculation.

Your calculation indicates that, at an annual average concentration at the
air effluent concentration limit, the dose is 50 mrem. This is exactly the
dose that the NRC Part 20, Appendix B, Table 2 values are calculated to
give.

The ability to average over a year is based on the "0.1 rem in a year" dose
limit in 20.1301 for members of the public.

And I want to be very clear on how one can physically achieve the annual
average when there is only a very short emission time during the year.
Consider the radionuclide concentration at the exit point of a stack or
duct. If there is no radionuclide emission, the concentration is ZERO
whether there is a volume flow of air or not. Thus, one can turn off the
exhaust fan for 364 days if the radionuclide emission is confined to less
than one day.

Thanks for listening.

Best regards,
Wes